How to Nominate a Book
Any titles published for children or teens in the current year are eligible. In case of doubt about publication date, please follow the date listed in the book itself. Reisssues are eligible for consideration if they include significant new content, such as new illustrations.
- Title: Book title in all caps. If it’s an audiobook, include [AUDIOBOOK]
- Cover: See last page of this documentation for step-by-step directions.
- Authors: Just like the old nomination form. There is now (July 2010) a separate field for the narrator.
- Publisher: Select one. If it’s not in the list, click on “Other” and email Lynda Adamson to add it.
- List year: Choose 2011 for books published in 2010.
- Ages: Choose the reading group to which it belongs.
- Subjects: You can add tags to your nomination by typing them in this field. Use commas to separate the tags and please use title case. If the tag already exists, you will see it appear in the drop-down list below the entry field and you can select it. If the tag does not exist, continue and finish typing it. The new tag will be added to the list when you add the entry. (E.g. Civil War, Fredericksburg, Disease)
- Publication Month: An optional field, but necessary if you are nominating a book pre-publication. Books will not appear on the agenda until the month of publication.
- Publication Year: Required, should be current calendar year.
- Edition information: Same as nomination form – choose the format, put in the price (e.g. 17.00 – no need to include the dollar sign), and the 13-digit ISBN.
- Add your nomination. (Please ignore the annotation field, as it will be used for the final published list.) If you compose your nomination in Word and then paste it into this form, be aware that some of your formatting may be lost. If you keep the text simple (no bolding, font changes, etc.), it should be fine. You are encouraged to add your name to the nomination. If you are currently on an ALA committee and are unable to publicly nominated, you may exclude your name. Please note, when you make a nomination, your user name is not identified.
- The URL path must be entered. It should closely mirror your book title. Follow these guidelines:
- All lowercase letters
- No spaces or characters like apostrophes
- Use underscores to separate words
- Drop articles
- Include up to 4 words
- Add audiobook to title where applicable.
- Take a look at other books in the site for good clean URLs (e.g., stuff_of_legend, woods_runner_audio).