MEETING NOTES for APRIL 13
Meeting Notes for April 13, 2012
Kathy Isaacs, Julie Dietzel-Glair, Jennifer Ralston, Kathleen Neil, Valerie Diamond, Rebecca Purdy, Teresa Cain, Bridget Harvey, Todd Krueger, Carolyn LaChance, Tony Carmack, Sondy Eklund, Betsy Phelps, Alicia Blowers, Elissa Webber, Jamie Watson, Edie Ching, Wendy Lukehart, Colleen Beaupre, Kathie Weinberg, Joan Kindig, Sylvie Shaffer, Lisa Cosgrove-Davies, Paula Langsam, María Gentle, Rachel Wood, Michelle Miller, Brijin Boddy, Kristi Jemtegaard, Jewell Stoddard, Lynda Adamson, Deborah Taylor, Kathie Meizner, Ginny Rawls, Micki Freeny
• Sylvie Shaffer announced that charter school librarians are forming a roundtable and will welcome help from any experienced librarian. Contact her if you are available.
• The Virginia Library Association has contacted Capitol Choices and wants two programs, one for YA and another for children’s books for its October 25 conference at Fort Smith. Two presenters can get half off of the conference fee. If one is only presenting, one may leave after the presentation without paying the fee. Let Becky Purdy or Joan Kindig know if you would like to participate immediately since the program committee needs to know by this Friday, April 20. The session would include a brief presentation of what Capitol Choices does and then a talk about the books.
• The Bethesda Literary Festival next weekend will include several authors during the day as well as Marc Aronson in the afternoon.
• On May 4, Kristin Cashore (Bitterblue, Fire) is coming to Bethesda Library at 4:30, and Paolo Bacigalupi (Ship Breaker) will be coming May 10 at 5 PM.
• On April 27, Arlington Public Library will host Kristin Levine (The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had and Lions of Little Rock) for middle school students at 10 AM.
• http://blog.schoollibraryjournal.com/afuse8production/#, Betsy Bird is polling for the top all-time 100 picture books and chapter books.
• April 24th, in Charlottesville, Casey Scieszka and Steven Weinberg (To Timbuktu) will be speaking. Contact Joan Kindig for further information.
• Peter Sís who has won the Hans Christian Anderson Medal will be at Channel Inn from 12-3, on April 21 with the Children’s Book Guild for an award.